Saturday, August 27, 2016

Hot Author of the Week: Heather Karn

Hey,

     I know it has been a while since our last interview, but I have another author that I would like to introduce. I have gotten to know Heather through a Facebook group that we are both a part of and I would like to say that I am looking forward to getting to know more about her. I was excited when she said that she would be willing to do an interview for my blog.


     I have not gotten the chance to read any of her work yet, but I am super stoked to start her series the Weregal Chronicles. The first book, Perfect Scents, is about Joette (Joey) and her journey as she meets a race of werecats who disappeared nearly 20 years before. What will she find out about these mysterious creatures and herself?

As promised, here is the interview!

Heather Karn


1. What or who made you want to start writing?

The first time I realized that i wanted to be an author was in 8th grade. I'd written a scary short story (okay, not really scary, but I tried), and that story became the first chapter of my first novel. It was short, but hey, I was young then. It was followed by one and a half sequels- book 3 of the series never got finished. In college I rewrote the first book, but after I graduated, writing went by the wayside for other hobbies. I think I burned myself out and had a strong case of self doubt that I could or would ever get published. In the spring of 2015 I started to read again, and loved what I read. These novels inspired me to start writing again, and since then, I haven't stopped!

2. Who inspires you to keep writing?

My family and friends are very supportive, and I appreciate that more than they know, but the people who inspire me to keep writing are the ones who got me inspired to write again in the first place: the indie YA authors that I found and have loved. I follow them on facebook, and I love how they interact with their fans, and I think to myself: if they can do it, so can I! And when I'm not feeling like writing, I go to their books and read, and it inspires me all over again to keep going and that the first, or even fourth, draft don't have to be perfect. You'll get there.

3. Who was your favorite character to create?

 Probably Aunt Gwen. There's just something about her. She seems familiar, like I know someone like her, but I can't place who it is. And she's hysterical.

4. What are you working on right now?

Book 2 of the Weregal Chronicles (title TBA)

5. What Book/s got you started reading?

The moment I found Tamora Pierce's books in my freshman year, I was hooked on reading! I couldn't put any of her books down. After my long hiatus of not reading much (maybe a novel or two a year...maybe), I picked a book from my kindle that I'd found for free, and haven't stopped reading since. It was Relentless by Karen Lynch. Again, couldn't put it down! Then I found Melissa Haag's books, and I've been reading ever since.

6. What is something fun about you that your readers don't already know?

 Hmmm, well I'm the oldest of a set of triplets. That's probably about the biggest thing that readers may not know about me. I have an identical sister, and our other sister is fraternal. Heck, our younger sister looks more like me and my identical sister than the fraternal one. But something that most people probably don't know is that I have a thing for collecting furniture. It's really bad. Not that I buy it all, I just want to buy it all! Especially if it's free or cheap and in good condition. I'm not a hoarder by any means, but I do love me some furniture. It makes me happy.

7. If you could recommend one book, not your own, from any time period to read what would it be?

Touch by Melissa Haag.

If you want to know more about Heather you can find her by following the links below:
Heather's Website
FB Author Page
The Weregal Chronicles Group
Goodreads
Amazon

Happy Reading,
DivineChaos

No comments:

Post a Comment